Sunday, January 2, 2011

Trashed or Protected by Google?

Trashed or Protected by Google?

Google terminated my regular blog known as "Ontario Real Estate Source". They just took it down!

Apparently, the reason is "unusual activity". An explanation suggests that it might be "spam".

While the quality of my writing may vary over the months, it is at least "original".

Google will perform an independent review (at my request) and consider reinstating the blog. I gather this is to be a two day process.

I have 400 posts in 2010, and about 1,200 in total. It is a valuable asset of intellectual property to me.

Many of those posts rank #1 for what would be fairly generic search terms like "Ontario Real Estate Law". With over 1,200 posts, that ranks me ahead of the Ontario Government, the Real Estate Council of Ontario, the Law Society of Upper Canada, all the related associations, not to mention the monolithic 1,000 lawyer law firms on Bay Street, and all the major real estate brokerages.

The site is down and cannot be found. So anyone doing a search will not find me, unless they find another one of my blogs, hosted elsewhere. Also, I had relied on Google Blogger as my back up source. I thought that was better than a crashed computer. But, all of that was just taken out of my hands completely.

If someone inappropriately accessed my account, then, thanks to Google for protecting me. If they have just shut it down because I posted 400 articles in a year and others didn't, then I hope it won't be down for long.

That blog generated over 90% of my new business in 2010. So, I am surprised that it can just be shut down and terminated. I would have thought that an appropriate intervention might be "no new postings", rather than complete termination.

Right now, I do not have an internet presence whatsoever!